A recent report by MeriTalk entitled “Why Encrypt? Federal File Transfer Report” offers interesting data and recommendations regarding securing the transfer of federal data. Perhaps most alarming was the significant use by those surveyed of unsafe methods for transferring files:
• 66% use physical media (e.g. tapes, CDs, DVDs, USB drives)
• 60% use FTP
• 52% use personal e-mail accounts
and also the disappointing data that “currently just 58% say employees are aware of secure file transfer policies.” The study was commissioned by Axway and illustrates the gaps between what should be happening to secure the transfer of data and what is actually happening.
Use of Accellion secure file transfer within the federal government has been steadily growing with recent Accellion government deployments at:
• US Securities and Exchange Commission
• State of Florida, Department of Transportation
• Government of Newfoundland and Labrador
• Government of Saskatchewan, Information Technology Office
It seems from the recent study there is still more work to be done in securing file transfers by Federal Agencies. We are here to help.